US President Donald Trump said Washington was not seeking to extend an interim agreement with Iran, after the memorandum of understanding between the two sides expired.
Trump told reporters on Monday that Iran would not make the type of deal with the United States that he considered necessary.
His comments came as tensions continued to rise across the region, including over the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump has also threatened to bomb Oman as Muscat finalises a deal with Iran to reopen the strategic waterway.
The United Arab Emirates’ President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan met Oman’s Sultan Haitham bin Tariq in Abu Dhabi to discuss regional and international developments, according to the Royal Oman Family.
The US Central Command said the US Navy had redirected 64 commercial ships during its blockade of the Strait of Hormuz since mid-July. Three vessels had been disabled and two boarded to ensure compliance.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations said on Tuesday that a vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while transiting the Strait of Hormuz. The attack damaged its engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, with the remaining crew assisted by the Omani Coast Guard.
Iran condemns Iraq attack, warns shipping companies
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said there was no justification for what he called a “reckless attack” targeting the Iraqi Kurdistan prime minister’s office.
He urged Kurdish authorities to remain vigilant against what he described as false-flag attempts to create discord between neighbours.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei also condemned the drone attack, calling it a “highly suspicious development” requiring vigilance and careful attention.
In a separate phone call, Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein asked Araghchi for clarification over the attack on the residence and personal office of Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Masrour Barzani.
Araghchi said he did not have information showing that the attacks were launched from Iranian territory and said there was no justification for such actions given Tehran’s relations with the Kurdistan Regional Government.
Meanwhile, an Iranian military official warned shipping companies involved in meeting US military needs against Iran that they would face legal, economic and counter-sanctions consequences.
The official said Tehran was monitoring the commercial and maritime networks supporting US operations and would regard the transport of fuel, ammunition, equipment and other supplies as support for Washington’s war against Iran.
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also urged Trump to continue talks with Iran and de-escalate tensions, offering Ankara’s support for peace efforts.
Gaza and Kushner
US President Donald Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner said discussions with Iran were probably more robust than ever, although no understanding had yet been reached.
On Gaza, Kushner said his meeting with Hamas had been “very cordial” and that the group could begin disarming and taking practical steps under Trump’s peace plan within about 30 days.
He said Hamas would have 60 to 90 days to voluntarily surrender its weapons and tunnels, describing this as potentially removing a major security threat.
Kushner said Trump’s “Board of Peace” would not restrict Israel’s right to defend itself against imminent threats. He warned that if Hamas failed to meet its commitments, Israel would have greater US and international support to “finish the job properly”.
However, according to Israel’s Channel 15, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Kushner that the Israeli army would continue targeted killings in Gaza.
Kushner opposed continuing the assassination operations, but the two sides did not reach agreement, with Netanyahu making clear that Israel would continue them.
Elsewhere, Turkish officials said Erdogan told Trump that Israeli attacks on Palestinians in Gaza had increased during the second phase of Trump’s peace plan.
The wider regional tensions also continued in Lebanon, where UNIFIL said Israeli military activity in southern Lebanon had increased markedly over the previous two weeks. It recorded an average of 137 projectiles a day between August 5 and 16, including 208 on Saturday and 185 on Sunday.




